Friday, January 30, 2009

Lockdown part two


Keep in mind when reading this that he is currently on oral steroids. Steroids make him impulsive, defiant, agitated, and more. He tends to also make up stories, and to put it bluntly, lie. Sometimes it's little and I consider it more confusion. For example, "I had library today" when library was really yesterday. Or, "I went to recess today" when he really didn't, but wanted to (he couldn't as his pulmonologist wanted him inside to rest instead of recess this week).
So, yesterday I picked up Mason after school. He left his lunch bag (again...as did about 5 other K/1's) in the classroom. So, we turned around, walked in the building, and headed for the classroom. As per the usual, I asked about his day - what he did, who he played with, etc. The conversation went like this:
Cori - How was your day today?
Mason - Good Mommy. I went to the resource room.
C- Oh, and what did you do?
M- I played Starfall on the computer.
C-That's great. Was it fun?
M- Yes. We had a lockdown today.
C- No, sweetie. That was Lauren's school last week. You had a fire alarm on the same day.
M- Yeah. But, we have a lockdown today.
C- Well, Mason, it was a fire alarm and that was last week.

As we're walking down the hall, a K/1 teacher walks by. So, I ask her 'did you guys have a lockdown today'? Her response was "as a matter of fact, we did. It was a drill".

Needless to say, I apologized to Mason, and he proceeded to tell me it was "just practice" and he stayed in the resource room while it occurred.

No comments: