Wednesday, November 28, 2007

Scheduling at Children's


Has anyone tried to schedule an appointment at Children's Hospital recently? Clinic scheduling at Children's falls into 3 categories, as far as I'm concerned. And I base my "expertise" in the fact that Mason has been seen in at least 8 DIFFERENT clinical specialties there! Seriously. Some clinics allow you to schedule with ease. Just call and make an appointment. Others are more difficult. Your pediatrician must fax in a referral (even if your insurance doesn't require one). After Children's has received the referral (and any other chart notes they deem necessary), you can then schedule the appointment. Then, there are the really difficult clinics. Immunology clinic would classify as "one of those" clinics.

Mason's pediatrician called us last Wednesday (the day before Thanksgiving) to let us know he'd fax in the referral to the immunology clinic and that we should call to schedule an appointment. He called back on Friday and left us a detailed message with more instructions. He called back again Friday to make sure we received the message and to tell us that the referral process was complete and to call and schedule the appointment.

So, I did. I called immunology clinic, followed the appropriate prompts, and left a message for the patient care coordinator (a fancy name for scheduler, I guess). I tried calling back a few more times in hopes of actually talking to a live person. No such luck. So, I called again Monday. After being transfered to the wrong specialty, by luck, I actually talked to "the scheduler". "The scheduler" informed me that yes, the referral was there. However, she needed to contact the immunologist to discuss when to schedule the appointment. She insisted that he responds promptly and would call back ASAP. Her view of ASAP and my view differ a bit. I called back Tuesday and left another message. I called again today and left another message. Finally, I decided I would follow any prompts and pretend I didn't know which "scheduler" we were supposed to speak with. So, I ended up with another scheduler. She indicated she'd put me thru to "the schedulers" voice mail. I quickly said that I really wasn't interested in leaving yet another unreturned voice mail message. So, she puts me on hold. She talks to "the scheduler". She returns to the phone and tells me, they are still waiting for SOMETHING. Only, she can't clarify what SOMETHING is. Yes, the referral is there. Yes she knows we would like to schedule. But, SOMETHING is not there, and therefore you can't even schedule an appointment. She suggests I call our pediatrician.
So, I do. I talk with the nurse and apologize for bugging them. See, I work very part time at the office, and know that we are VERY short staffed right now. In fact, I'm filling in while Mason is at school for the next 2 weeks (and a day here and there for the past 3 weeks). She kindly asks what he's missing. Apologetically I reply that I have no idea...the referral is there, and that's what I know. Anyway, she'll have our pediatrician contact immunology clinic again. UGH!

1 comment:

Meghan said...

But you do know what he's missing - something!
Duh...
Aren't you glad I read your blog?!