Friday, December 21, 2007

Why I don't like Winter break


Why I don't like "Winter vacation" (i.e. Christmas break). Hmmm. Where to start?

1. It means 24 hours a day; 7 days a week of children. Well, we're only 3 days into the "break", Lauren has been downright disobedient and rude for approximately 76% of the time. Let me take you to day 1 of "the break". Wednesday. While getting ready to change Lauren's earrings (at her request), I asked her to finish one of her chores. She disobeyed. Hence, the consequence was that I would not change her earrings to the "dangly pair" she wanted. Apparantly that was just the sin of all sins. In other words, I was called (by the 6 year old), a liar. That just doesn't sit well with me. After calmly and repeatedly explaining there are consequences for disobeying, the term of "liar" kept sailing thru the air. At that point, many many priviledeges were taken away. Fast forward another hour. After Mason had swimming lessons, I decided we'd take a quick trip to Whole Foods to get sandwiches for lunch. The only "rule" was that Lauren's must have meat in it. And, if she wanted PB&J, I'd fix it at home. I mean, I'm not paying $4 for a PB&J. Turkey or ham yes. PB&J no!. That caused another ruckus. So, the consequence for the tantrum regarding sandwich options, was, for her to eat at home. For this next sin of all sins, I was kicked in the leg in the checkout line. Again, I maintained my composure and simlply reached down & removed the "offending shoe". Shoe number 2 then decided to kick me too. So, the last "offending shoe" was removed. I might add, that this was a rainy, nasty day. So, we're in checkout and Lauren has no shoes. She then has to walk to the car barefoot. Fast forward a few more hours, and the hideous attitude did leave Lauren's body, and was replaced with a much nicer, kinder, gentler Lauren.

2. No "adult" only respite. No time at home alone without kids. Unless you count the 2 hours Meghan babysat for me yesterday while I was at the doctor (and now I'm on 21 days of antibiotics, steroids, and a steroid nasal spray). And, during the time the kids were at Meghan's, Lauren was bossy and Thornley didn't want to play with her. Suits her right. The only redeeming adult time was last night when Jen, Meghan, & I went to dinner at Newcastle pub for happy hour. The appletini's were $2.95 as were the appetizers.

3. See #1 again. Only, today's issue with Lauren was in regards to clothing options. She didn't like the options SHE chose for herself and threw a fit. Mark was at Starbucks picking up drinks (we were out of coffee). When he returned, I explained that there was no way in h--- that Lauren was having hot chocolate...and could have the alternate non-chocolate beverage. Apparantly that was another major sin. She sulked in her room for another hour. Oh well.

4. Snoring. Mark came home from a business trip. This is all good news....with the exception that he arrived home at 1am; came home with a cold; and snored ALL night.

1 comment:

Meghan said...

sounds like a regular Tuesday at our house!
I actually have some more crafts if she'd like to come over again. The "clubhouse" is being thrown in the trash though!