Friday, April 11, 2008

The pros (or cons) of speech therapy

Mason started speech therapy at the age of 1. Up until age three, while he was in a 'birth to three' program, he had speech once a week. Initially we started with sign language. After he had his first set of ear tubes, he started making many more vocalizations, which eventually turned into words. Prior to turning 3, we added private speech therapy once a week. His private therapist focuses on PROMPT (a type of speech therapy). After age 3, Mason started preschool at an integrated preschool and continued with weekly speech thru the school district. The preschool focused more on PECS - a picture exchange system. Since he was talking more, we dropped the signs and added PECS to augment his communication. Now, at age 5, Mason is quite verbal. We only occasionally use signs, such as when he's across the room and being reprimanded. Occasionally we'll add PECS. All in all, he's using sentences and we can usually understand him. From time to time we have difficulty understanding his words - especially when he's tired or talking too fast. Speech therapy has done wonders for him!

Well, this week, I'd like to tell you the cons of speech therapy. Sometimes it's better not to know what your dear, sweet 5 year old son is saying! Here are a few examples from our vacation:
1. To Lauren when she took the ball away from him in the pool: "I hate you Lauren"
2. To me, when it was time to get out of the pool: "You are mean Mommy. I don't like you".
3. To me, at nap time: "I'm not taking a nap because I don't have to".
4. To me, at nap time, and this was WITH attitude: "I can do whatever I want".
5. To me, when Mark & Lauren were golfing: "When Lauren is done with golf, it should be my turn".
6. To me when giving Mason a time out for punching Lauren: "I'm not in time out - YOU are in time out Mommy".
7. To me, again when giving Mason a time out: "You go to YOUR room Mommy - you not behaving".
8. I could go on and on, but I think you get the picture!

No comments: