Wednesday, June 11, 2008

Wednesdays with Jack

For the past year I have watched Jack on Wednesdays while Meghan was at work. On occasion I would need to cancel if Mason was sick, I was out of town, or I had an appointment. Other times Meghan would cancel if Jack was sick or if he didn't feel like joining us. Here's some examples of our Wednesdays:

SWIMMING: For the first few months Mason had swimming at 10am. So Jack & I would color or play with various toys while watching Mason was in his lesson. The mid-part of the year Jack would go swimming too. This however, was short-lived due to the pool's staffing. It also required serious bribery to get him into the water. But, once he was actually in the pool he did great. The funny thing was every time the boys were changing into or out of their swimsuits, Jack would look at Mason, then at me, then say "God made us all different sizes". Think penis.

PARK: Occasionally we'd go to a park. This too, however was short-lived. Due to weather, obviously!

OUR HOUSE: Since the weather was pretty much awful and rainy, we'd spend time playing in the playroom. Occasionally we'd have a change of venue and play at my parent's playroom and with their dog. Sometimes Jack came as a character from Star Wars, Harry Potter, Super Mario, or another favorite "person". All the while, he would not usually allow me to call him Jack - but by the name of the character du jour. Mason happily went along with that!

ERRANDS: My favorite Wednesday activity with Jack & Mason was running errands! After all, being a free babysitter did not require extensive, prearranged activities! I could treat Jack as my own & load him up for errands!!! My favorite errand of all was Costco. Both boys were easily bribed with a churro or pizza or samples & I could get my glasses adjusted or shop. It killed a TON of time. Sometimes it was Whole Foods for a few groceries (with a cookie for a reward). Today was Best Buy (no free samples here) & Target. You name it. Both boys would either be in the cart together or just Mason (Mr. Run Away) would be in the cart. Jack always stayed right with me. Never a problem. The past two weeks Mason would pretend Jack was his brother and Jack, laughing, would play along. Being the wise old age of 4, he would come up with all sorts of hilarious comments. I couldn't even begin to list "Jack-isms" because they were so funny and he'd quickly come up with another. Often it would just be typical potty humor, which would only spur Mason on to try to compete too. Today a sample of the words of the day were toot, bottom, and booger.
Now, Wednesdays with Jack have come to an end, I must say I will miss him and his "Jack-isms" on Wednesdays.
Note to Meghan: I will not miss Jack so much that I want him next year when Mason is actually IN School on Wednesdays!




1 comment:

Meghan said...

well, there are plenty of Wed between now and Sept. just because school is over, doesn't mean the fun has to end! I could even double the fun and throw Thornley in the mix!