Wednesday, June 11, 2008

Definition of 'bath'


To me, a bath involves either physically washing your child or verifying that your child adequately washed themselves. So tonight, Mark was in charge of the bathing task. We arrived home much later than normal, but both kids needed a quick bath.
Lauren proved she can take a shower and perform all necessary tasks to assure cleanliness. From hair to toes, she can do it. Occasionally there will be a little shampoo left - but that's fine with me.

Mason on the other hand prefers to play in the bath. He still requires someone else to appropriately wash his hair. As for washing the body, there are also two options. The first is to wash him. The second is to talk him through washing all his body parts. Either is fine. What is NOT fine, however is leaving the child to perform all tasks of the bathing routine!

So, imagine my shock when I was told by husband that Mason had had his bath. Mason emerged from his bed to use the toilet. When I went in the bathroom to help wipe him, I notice he has dry hair. I notice there is absolultely NO soap OR shampoo in the bathtub. There is also no "cup" to rinse his shampooed hair with water. The toothbrush is also dry. So, I ask husband WHAT he actually did while bathing Mason. "Um, I, uh....". See, there is really no answer to this question when it is obvious he just let the child sit in a tub of water. No soap, no shampoo, no nothing. In regards to the toothbrush I was told that husband wasn't done tucking him in yet. Funny thing, is that Mason came from his bed into the bathroom. His bedroom lights were off and curtain was closed. His music box on the side of his bed was on. You see, to me, that means tucking in was done.

So, I just spent the last few moments of another long day actually giving the child a bath. Guess what? I used shampoo and soap. I also made sure the toothbrush (with toothpaste) actually entered his mouth! And the even funnier thing....I told husband earlier tonight that he's got to give 110% to the kids when he's actually home and not traveling. Geez, I'd hate to see what a 70% "bath" is!

1 comment:

knittingqueen said...

Sorry Mark, but she's got you by the tenders on that one. No soap? At all? Really?