Monday, January 21, 2008

A few reasons I do not work out


As we all know, January is a big month for resolutions. Pretty much every year, mine is to get back to the gym (or at least take a walk). It's now January 21st. I've gone to the gym twice. So much for my resolution.

My dear sweet husband has been traveling - which limits my "non-child" time. Let me just shed some light on the degree of travel - and when I say "week", I am speaking of Monday thru Friday. My "free" time would be M,T, Th, and F from 9:05-11:15 (while Mason is in school). Wednesday's Mason has no school & I watch Jack.


January

Week 1: 50% - January 1st was a holiday; Friday was my "free day"; I worked on Saturday

Week 2: 80% - I worked Monday,Tuesday, had a meeting on Thursday, and "free" on Friday. I was in Texas with Lauren from Saturday until Monday night

Week 3: 80% - Mark was "mandated" to be home Monday, as I was out of town. Tuesday, Mason had no school due to ice; Thursday I worked; Friday I worked and Mark's dad came into town for Lauren's birthday weekend.

Week 4: 100% - January 21st was a holiday. I work on Tuesday, Thursday, and have Friday "free". I also work on Saturday.


Upcoming trips:

January Week 5: 80% (next week) - Mark was "mandated" to be home by Thursday night, as it's Kindergarten orientation. I work on Monday, Tuesday, & Thursday. Friday is "free".

February Week 1: 100% - I work on Monday; have my own doctor's appointment on Tuesday; have Thursday "free"; and get my haircut on Friday morning (rescheduled from an evening appointment - since I'd have to pay a sitter). Work on Saturday.

February Week 2: 60% - "Free" Monday & Tuesday; work Thursday & Friday


Needless to say, with all my "free time", the last thing I want to do is go to the gym. After all, who else will do the laundry, run the other errands, grocery shop, etc?! I have approximately 2.25 hours to myself once a week. Even on the weekends, he's able to "fit in" a nap. I'd LOVE a nap. However, as I've been told, I can catch up on my stuff when I wake up from my nap. What sense is there in me taking time for a nap, if the workload would just accumulate while I was sleeping?


I suppose the good news in all of this, is I get the bed to myself for the majority of the time. Unfortunately, when Mark comes home, I no longer sleep well. Why? Oh, because of the earth-shaking snoring. Yes, he's seen the ENT. But, no, he hasn't scheduled the sleep study yet. Why again? Because he's gone too much. So, when he comes home and falls asleep as soon as he's in bed, the jet-engine motor (a.k.a. the snore) begins. Apparantly, as he was leaving at some awful hour this morning and said goodbye, I mumbled "I'm mad at you". I didn't even recall saying that, but when I was conscious some 2 hours later, he reminded me. The reason I was mad, was due to the snoring! I don't know if I was even able to have 1-2 consecutive hours of sleep last night.


Anyhoo - these are the reasons I'm continuing to let myself fall further and further apart. I have NO time! And, yes, I actually do enjoy going to the gym. But, again, what point is there in going if no one else is going to help with all the household chores, events, errands, etc?

1 comment:

Meghan said...

I hear ya! Actually Adam hasn't been gone as much lately, but with everything there is to do it's still hard to find time to exercise. Maybe you need to join 24 Hr Fitness, and when you wake up to his snoring at 2:00 a.m., you could go workout.